Skip to content
Local Legislation – New York City
- Int 2026-2020: A local law to amend the NYC administrative code in relation to reducing noise caused by chartered helicopters. Introduced 7/28/20
- NYC City Council pending legislation 2018 bill number 0852-2018: Would require NYC EDC to produce an annual helicopter sightseeing plan in consultation with community advocates, industry, and experts.
- NYC City Council Hearing April 18, 2018: Testimony (download PDF) and Transcript (download PDF)
- 2016 Amendment of Concession Agreement between NYC and Shaker Aviation for the Downtown Manhattan Heliport.
- Public Hearing of the Franchise and Concession Review Committee – July 11, 2016
- 2016 Agreement with NYC and Saker Aviation Services (operator of the Downtown Manhattan Heliport) to reduce helicopter tourist flights
- Nov. 14, 2016 testimony of Friends of Governor’s Island regarding increase of helicopter flights and noise
- Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy Testimony Regarding Bills to Ban Sightseeing Helicopters Presented to NYC Council’s Committee on Environmental Protection at City Hall
- NYC City Council Hearings for Bills Intro 858 and Intro 859, November 2015: Testimony (download PDF) and Transcript (download PDF)
- NY State Senators Squadron and Hoylman Testimony in Support of NYC Council Bills Intro 858 and 859
- Int 858-2015: Bill that would prohibit sightseeing helicopters from taking off and landing at heliports owned by the city if those helicopters meet the stage 3 noise limits for helicopters as determined by the Federal Airport Noise and Capacity Act of 1990.
- Int 859-2015: Bill that would prohibit sightseeing helicopters from taking off and landing at heliports owned by the city if those helicopters do not meet the stage 3 noise levels for helicopters as determined by the Federal Airport Noise and Capacity Act of 1990.
- 2/26/2014 NYC Council Resolution calling upon Congress to require the Federal Aviation Administration to promulgate regulations on air quality and noise for tourist helicopters flying over New York City.
- 9/17/14 Letter from the Public Advocate Letitia James to Mayor de Blasio calling for a ban on the Helicopters Tour Operators
- 10/5/11 Press Release: Manhattan and Brooklyn Politicians Call for Total Ban on Tourist Helicopters from Manhattan Air Corridors
- 6/1/2011 Letter from Congressmember Nydia Velazquez to Mayor Michael Bloomberg regarding tourist helicopter noise pollution and seeking ban over NYC.
- April 2010 NYC EDC Helicopter Sightseeing Plan between Eastern Region Helicopter Council and Downtown Manhattan Heliport eliminating sightseeing tours over Central Park, Empire State Building, Brooklyn, and short tours, creating 311 noise complaints logs, and helicopter noise monitoring systems, and more.